Garmin Watch Redesign

During my Winter Semester at the University of Michigan, I undertook an interaction design class that focused on a single project for the semester. The area of focus I decided to take was regarding a Garmin Redesign.

I decided this after identifying the issue that distance runners have a high level of injury due to over training and lack of data. Currently, watches on the market often encourage runners to go further, faster and harder. The new Garmin ProRunner that I designed looks at guiding runners to take proper recovery days, and empower them with real time statistics about their running form during activity. 

The first step in this process was to create the true problem statement, and identify what features of the watch I wanted to include. Then there was stages of flushing out ideas that lead to the final digital prototype. 

 
IMG_1445.jpg

Story Boards

Below are the storyboards that show different scenarios of running with a watch, and how the user could interact different ways. This includes what the user is using the watch for specifically, and who they have around them. 

IMG_1446.jpg
IMG_1447.jpg

Competitive Analysis

With many ideas floating around, the next step was to conduct a competitive analysis. This was a good exercise to see what other players were in the space, and what emerging technology was out there in regards to distance running. 

The competitive analysis can be viewed here

Personas

From seeing different use cases for the watch, personas were created in order to rank relevant features, and see who the exact audience and secondary audience would be for this device. 

The personas can be viewed here. 

Story Map

Following the personas, a story map was developed. This clumped ideas together, and made sure that we were designing for users in mind. 

The story map can be viewed here

Wireframes

Now was time for the fun part! With the idea now solidified, and the users in mind, the lo-fi wireframes started to take shape. Once these were drawn, they were converted to a format in which paper prototype testing could be conducted. Throughout the user testing, defect logs were used to record what interactions went well, and what needed to be changed or improved. 

The video of the paper prototype can be found here.

IMG_1448.jpg

Digital Prototype 

Following user testing, changes were made, and a digital prototype was created. The interactive prototype was created digitally on sketch, and animated in inVision. Upon more feedback during the final presetnation, there were aspects of the design that I was extreamly happy with, however still lots of room for improvement. 

The final product video can be found here

The final reflection report with design justifications can be found here